The Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids (HBAGGR), a professional nonprofit trade organization, was founded by 18 builders, and chartered by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) in 1945. Its members are committed to providing quality homes, buildings, renovations, products and services for the entire region through adherence to ethical practices, community involvement, advocacy and education.
To empower our members to succeed through education, advocacy, networking, and promotion.
According to Harold Albert (who was President of the HBAGGR in 1950), “We organized the Association because we realized that we would accomplish more by working together. We realized that every business has to be organized to look after their interests. We wanted to further the standard of the profession so that the good builders would be members of the association and bad builders would not.”
Today, the HBAGGR has over 500 company members. Roughly one third of these are contractors who hold a builder’s license with the State of Michigan, and the remaining companies are suppliers who provide products and services to the building industry.
Within NAHB, the HBAGGR ranks just over 100th by size out of 850 state and local associations around the country. Within the Michigan Association of Home Builders (MAHB), the HBAGGR ranks 2nd in size out of 35 local associations in Michigan. In 1987, the Association moved to 2021 44th Street, S.E., and in 2005 moved to 1633 East Beltline Ave., N.E. in Grand Rapids. In 2009, the HBA moved to the Glenwood Corporate Centre at 3196 Kraft Ave. SE, Suite 300, Grand Rapids, MI 49512. The HBA now resides at its new home at 3959 Clay Ave SW, Wyoming MI 49548. Central to its members, the HBA offices celebrated their new home on October 18, 2011 with a ribbon cutting and open house. “For 70 years the HBA of Greater Grand Rapids has been a resource for our community,” says Andy Lofgren, HBA Executive Officer. ”We will continue be our communities resource for everything for your home, from dirt to drapes.”
All Members of the Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids shall be limited to those persons and firms who shall subscribe to the following Code of Ethics:
As members in good standing of the Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids, we believe in and accept the responsibilities and obligations inherent in providing housing and its related infrastructure. Basic to these ethical beliefs, we support and will adhere to the following objectives:
- To conduct business affairs with professionalism and skill.
- To provide the best housing value possible.
- To provide quality materials and construction practices backed by integrity and service.
- To provide housing with high standards of safety, sanitation and livability.
- To meet all financial obligations in a timely manner.
- To comply consistently with the spirit and letter of business contracts, and manage employees, subcontractors and suppliers with fairness and honor.
- To keep informed regarding laws, regulations, proposed legislation, codes, public policies and other essential information which affect our business interests and those of the building industry as a whole.
- To comply with the rules and regulations prescribed by law and government agencies.
- To keep honesty as our guiding business policy.
- To provide timely response to items covered under warranty.
- To seek to resolve controversies through a non-litigation dispute resolution mechanism.
- To support and abide by the decisions of the Association in promoting and enforcing this Code of Ethics.
Members assume the responsibilities in this Code of Ethics freely and solemnly and are mindful that these responsibilities are a part of their obligation as members of the Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids. Further, members agree to adhere to the building standards as set forth in the Residential Construction Performance Guidelines, as developed by the National Association of Home Builders. We also believe that home ownership should be within the reach of all Americans. We hold inviolate the free enterprise system and American way of life and we pledge our support to our local, state and national associations. We have read the above and affirm and believe in the principles and policies stated, and will adhere to the Code of Ethics of the Home Builders Association of Greater Grand Rapids.